Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Staff Consultant Electrical Engineer - Optical Encoder Development (663531) in Westminster, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
*Staff Consultant Electrical Engineer – Optical Encoder Development *
What You'll Do:
- Analog and digital signal processing for high bandwidth, high dynamic range position sensing, such as optical encoders, magnetic encoders, imaged encoders and interferometers.
- Integrate optical, electrical and signal processing to meet sensor requirements.
- Manage company-wide technical priorities in relation to customer technical and programmatic priorities.
- Work with New Business team and support forward looking mechanism architecture discussions.
- Lead proposal writing.
- Provide and receive technical guidance with engineering team.
- Work on Tiger teams (red teams) to respond to immediate needs.
- Sift through diverse data to provide knowledge base for solving issues.
- Interact with higher management (Directors, VPs, etc.).
- Document any specific expertise as requested.
- Write and review technical white papers or SERs as requested.
- Write papers for distribution outside the company.
- Explain work, problems, and solutions clearly and concisely.
- Mentor other engineers.
- Negotiate the technical scope of the program before and after contract signing.
- Support tasks simultaneously, advising and directing others both on programs and functionally.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Unit/Strategic Support Unit and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to apply technical standards, principles, and concepts of the discipline and engineering processes, procedures, and practices related to the area of expertise.
- Strong technical abilities to provide technical advice and problem solving including red team reviews.
- Proven expertise in design of optical encoder and interferometric linear or angular position sensing systems.
- Expertise in technology development and implementation of large angle sensing for Fast Steering Mirror & gimbal mechanisms.
- Must be adept at conveying technical decisions and their impact.
- Experience in digital signal processing and sampling theory.
- Strong mixed signal circuit design and electronic systems background.
- Familiarity with ASIC tools, libraries, design flow and fabrication is a plus Digital system partitioning and advanced function implementation in FPGAs
- Ability to work at the initial stages (architecture) to determine capabilities as well as direct the area to develop for new business.
- Knowledge of space radiation effects.
- Space or military experience highly desired, but not required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Staff Consultant Electrical Engineer - Optical Encoder Development (663531)
Job ID: 663531
Location: CO - Westminster
Full/Part Time: Full-Time