nLIGHT Sr. Electrical Engineer in Vancouver, Washington
Sr. Electrical Engineer
Summary Own and design electrical subsystems for high-powered laser systems in support of new product development at nLIGHT. As a member of a multi-disciplinary product development team, the Electrical Engineer will design innovative and robust industrial power, control, and safety systems for a variety of nLIGHT high-powered laser platforms, and will participate in all phases of development from concept through release to manufacturing. These subsystems consist of a combination of commercially-available components as well as custom-designed PCBs and cable assemblies. Therefore, this position will be best suited to a candidate with broad experience in the design of electronics for the industrial market (machine tools, manufacturing and test equipment, industrial automation, etc.)
- Work with internal partners to define electrical requirements that meet functional, cost, quality and schedule objectives.
- Design industrial power distribution, control, and safety systems using commercially-available components or custom-designed circuit boards.
- Follow best practices in designing for test and manufacturability.
- Produce comprehensive design documentation packages including schematics, BoMs, block diagrams, wiring diagrams, panel layouts, and validation and test procedures.
- Lead technical design reviews and participate in peer design reviews.
- Perform compliance testing and certification to international safety standards, EMC, and environmental regulations (UL, CE, IEC, RoHS, etc.)
- Use feedback from production, field service, and external partners to identify and pursue continuous improvement opportunities.
- 5+ years experience as an Electrical Engineer
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or similar discipline
- Experience driving system architecture discussions and trade studies
- Experience with design of industrial power, control, and safety systems, as well as the relevant international standards (NFPA 70 & 79, EN 60204-1, ISO 13849-1, etc.)
- Experience with multiple end-to-end product development cycles
- Experience with schematic capture and layout tools (Altium Designer preferred)
- Experience with CAD tools for the creation of industrial wiring and cable diagrams
- Basic understanding of embedded microcontroller architecture
Equal Opportunity Employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities. For more information, please see the EEO is the Law poster from the Federal Government:
dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf__ Apply for this position