Microsoft Corporation Senior Electrical Engineer in Singapore, Singapore
Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) is the team behind the cloud. MCIO is responsible for delivering over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security, compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the network that powers the world’s largest online services.
Specific Job Task:
The successful candidate will be a Professional Electrical Engineer with extensive experience in data center electrical engineering, design, construction and operations. Candidate will manage, review and coordinate the delivery of complex data center electrical power distribution and backup power generation systems. Candidate will be responsible for overseeing engineering consultants to ensure conformance and alignment to Microsoft data center standards. Candidate will also work on the technical review and analysis of leasing data centers and colocation space from external providers for compliance with Microsoft requirements.
Product and Technology
The Data Center Engineering group is responsible for the engineering and design of all new data center builds by delivering engineered solutions that align MCIO service level agreements (SLAs).
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Recognized as the electrical discipline Subject Matter Expert (SME) providing key input to other organizations and stakeholders.
• Collaborate with a global electrical team to understand and develop the data center (DC) electrical designs from basis of design (BOD) to issue for construction (IFC) for new DC project build-outs.
• Lead and direct consultants in the design and coordination of the electrical systems with other disciplines, associated power and overall electrical topology for our data center builds.
• Responsible for leading electrical workgroups with representatives from consulting firms along with key stakeholders within Microsoft.
• Manage all power system designs during the design stages, equipment procurement, bidding, manufacturing, delivery and installation on site. Identify and resolve issues raised by the construction teams and various stakeholders.
• Interface closely with the procurement team, the manufacturers and the global and local engineering teams to deliver the electrical solutions needed for each project.
• Responsible for specification and design development, detailing the sequence of operation for the electrical systems and overall drawings and specifications for our electrical topology.
• Technical review and analysis of the lease and colocation data center space from external providers for compliance with Microsoft requirements.
• Assist the Operation team for trouble shooting of electrical failures and work with operations and equipment vendors for the resolution.
The position will require some travel to potential lease sites for evaluation, factory witness testing of procured equipment and engineering vendor interaction in the design process, as well as final commissioning of the installed systems.
Skills and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will be an electrical Professional Engineer with expertise in data center electrical power engineering. A team player able to work in a multi-disciplined engineering team designing Microsoft Data Centers globally and possess the skills to work in a fast paced multi project environment. Ideal candidate is knowledgeable in power generation and transmission topologies. Having a firm understanding of the electrical distribution system design and monitoring requirements for mission critical applications, along sequence of operation requirements and monitoring of all Data Center electrical control systems.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology.
• Professional Engineer in Electrical Engineering
• Candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and maintain high quality standards.
• Detailed understanding of uninterruptible power sources, diesel generators, electrical switchgear, power distribution units, and automatic/static transfer switches.
• Detailed understanding of relays, protection schemes, high-voltage distribution system, power and distribution transformers, earthing and switching.
• Excellent knowledge of building codes and regulations.
• Ability to prepare and present using the MS office suite
• Registered Professional Engineer in Electrical Engineering.
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in consulting engineering with minimum of 5 years’ experience as lead engineer.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience with design, construction, operation or maintenance of large scale and complex electrical engineering systems (Data Centers, Micro Electronics are two examples of relevant industries)
• Ability to lead a team of engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large data center environments.
• Experience in designing, operating, and commissioning of electrical distribution systems, from high voltage (HV) to branch circuits.
• Experience with power system analysis and engineering software packages.
• Knowledge of mechanical and control systems related to data center environments.
• Ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form at https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.