GlaxoSmithKline Electrical Engineer - Galvani Bioelectronics in Sacramento, California
Electrical Engineer - Galvani Bioelectronics
Open date:Mar 27, 2018 8:56 AM
Experience required:3 years
Email a friend
Your Responsibilities:Bioelectronics is an innovative and rapidly expanding research field of medicine and engineering. Galvani Bioelectronics is pioneering this field of research, while leveraging significant expertise in academic and industrial centres of excellence through partnership programs and funding schemes. Through these collaborations we continue to expand our treatment indications, through proof of principle on both disease biology and technology. Ultimately we at Galvani Bioelectronics are striving to make bioelectronic medicine a key pillar in patient treatment, alongside pharmaceuticals and vaccines, by leveraging the autonomic nervous systems control in health and disease. The development of chronically stable interfaces, tailored for small autonomic nerves in the viscera, is a critical focus for Galvani Bioelectronics as part of our overall aim to develop step-change, miniaturised, and personalised implantable medicines.
About the role:
Th Electrical Engineer will work with a multidisciplinary team to support an R&D programme in advancing next generation of bioelectronics devices. The candidate’s primary responsibility will be to develop and maintain data acquisition and instrumentation systems to enable open-loop and closed-loop electro-neurophysiology experiments. The successful candidate will serve as a subject matter expert (SME) as it relates to instrumentation hardware/software for real-time data acquisition and processing, and possess a strong foundation in electrical engineering to facilitate bespoke hardware measurement systems for acute and chronic pre-clinical experiments. The candidate must have at least 5 years of industry experience in related areas in medical devices. The successful applicant will:
• Develop bespoke instrumentation hardware and software for real-time control and data acquisition support of electro-neurophsyiology experiments
• Provide experimental support and expertise during measurements; devise appropriate tests to evaluate, debug and check systems; document results of complex analysis and design tasks.
• Author and plan complex technical studies to analyze, validate, and recommend solutions or course of actions; work with translational sciences team to coordinate and plan execution of PoP experiments
• Provide expert systems/equipment analysis and recommendations to leadership and engineering teams.
• Assists in writing technical proposals, requirements definitions, test plans and other technical documentation; performs other related duties as required.
• Support a portfolio of scientific projects, driving towards key milestones and deliverables by closely interacting and enabling project owners within Galvani Bioelectronics
Basic qualifications:• MS or PhD in electrical engineering or electrical and computer engineering
• Track record in medical product development and/or a graduate degree with relevant project experience.
• Strong background in electronics and instrumentation, specifically in control and data acquisition related areas to support neurophysiology
• Candidate must be experienced in software skills, firmware and I/O standards such as I2C, SPI, USB, PCIxpress and others, including wireless protocols such as low power BLE.
• Candidate must be proficient in CAD and EDA tools, PCB layout
• Prior experience with real-time data acquisition and signal processing and closed-loop PID controller designs, including proficiency with Matlab, Simulink, Labview
• A solid math background is required in order to understand/select/develop data uncertainty calculations, digital filter algorithms, advanced control algorithms, process simulations, etc
• High level of scientific (engineering) achievement and credibility to date, as shown by multiple first author publications, presentations, and/or patents.
• Strong communication (verbal and written) and organization skills. Ability to run meetings, delegate tasks, and manage progress with teams members and collaborators.
Preferred qualifications:• Experience in driving collaborative resourced research paths with specific focus on neural interface design and optimisation.
• Sound knowledge and experience of neural interface devices and components for recording and stimulating the nervous system.
• Proficiency in neurophysiology software such as Labchart and Spike2
• Track record of productive project management within an industry environment, or equivalent expertise from academic environments.
• Experience of pre-clinical in vivo models and/or clinical testing, for implantable devices, neural interfaces, and neuromodulation.
Why GSK?:Galvani Bioelectronics is a new company, established in November 2016, dedicated to the development of bioelectronic medicines – a new class of medicines consisting of miniaturised, implantable devices.
Formed through a partnership between global healthcare company, GSK, and leading technology company, Verily Life Sciences, Galvani Bioelectronics combines the complementary expertise of its parent companies to enable the research, development and commercialisation of bioelectronic therapies.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ AgenciesGSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency ReportingFor the Recordsite.