Google Data Center Electrical Engineer in Reston, Virginia
This role may also be located in Jackson County, AL.
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Reston, VA, USA; Bridgeport, AL 35740, USA
Our thirst for technology is a part of everything we do. The Data Center Engineering team takes the physical design of our data centers into the future. Our lab mirrors a research and development department -- cutting-edge strategies are born, tested and tested again. Along with a team of great minds, you tackle complex topics like how we use power or how to run state-of-the-art, environmentally-friendly facilities. You're a visionary who optimizes for efficiencies and never stops seeking improvements -- even small changes that can make a huge impact. You generate ideas, communicate recommendations to senior-level executives and drive implementation alongside facilities technicians.
With your technical expertise, you ensure compliance with codes and standards, develop infrastructure improvements and serve as an expert in your specialty (e.g., cooling, electrical).
As an Electrical Engineer you design and evaluate our data center systems, identifying product requirements and contributing to research and project planning. From the chip to the substation, you are responsible for working with a team of engineers and construction partners to figure out the best ways to move electrons around our infrastructure.
In this role, you'll participate in the preparation of all types of documents and reports including statement of work (SOW), total cost of ownership (TCO) analysis, drawing mark-ups, budget, schedule, final startup/commissioning reports, and review and acceptance of as-builts and review of submittals. You will also take ownership of key components of our projects and be responsible for working with inside and outside partners to optimize the delivery and performance of our electrical systems.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Manage all site level electrical engineering challenges during project execution phase.
- Identify and resolve challenges with cross-functional teams. Maintain all mission critical data center related electrical system design requirements.
- Support the commissioning team in development of documentation and testing procedures for each project.
- Be responsible for supporting quality assurance and control during the construction process.
- Provide technical guidance to vendor teams in the resolution of issues and support program level efforts.
- BA/BS degree in a technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in the Design-Build environment for mission critical facilities (e.g. data centers, chip fab, pharma, power plants, industrial, etc).
- Experience with total cost of ownership (TCO) projects. Experience in the design, construction, and commissioning of medium/low voltage electrical distribution systems to include air conditioning and data center systems.
- Construction administration and/or construction management experience.
- Professional Engineering certification.
- Experience in estimating, electrical design, operation and commissioning of substations, switchgear, Automatic Transfer Switch/ATP and emergency power systems.
- Knowledge of large-scale mission critical facility’s mechanical infrastructure systems.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.