AVCON, INC. Entry-Level Electrical Engineer, Airfield Lighting in Orlando, Florida
AVCON, INC. is a Florida-based full-service engineering and planning firm established in 1988 specializing in airports, transportation facilities, and site development projects. As a growing firm, we continually look for talented engineers in the civil, structural, electrical, and mechanical disciplines. We have a staff of over 80 professionals headquartered in Orlando, Florida with regional offices in Niceville, Florida and Charlotte, North Carolina.
Our projects range from facility master plans to pavement evaluation and design, power distribution, building lighting and electrical systems design, airfield lighting, navigational aids, hangar developments, security and low-voltage electrical projects, roadway designs and traffic assessments, utility and storm water improvements, residential and commercial site planning, HVAC design and plumbing, fire protection, and structural design.
AVCON is the second largest engineering firm headquartered in Orlando according to the Orlando Business Journal 2015 Book of Lists. The firm has ranked within the top 20 of the Orlando Sentinel’s Top 100 Companies for Working Families seven years in a row.
AVCON transforms today’s ideas into tomorrow’s reality.
As part of a design team, the primary responsibilities of the Engineer, Airfield Lighting are to assist with the planning and design of a variety of large and small airfield lighting projects for runways, taxiways, and guidance signage; airport owned and FAA Navigational Aids; airport communications systems; airfield security; and aircraft ramp/apron area lighting.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS(may include but are not limited to):
- Prepares project layouts and construction plans; assists in the various design elements to complete a project, system, component, or system with other team members with clear and specified objectives involving conventional types of plans, surveys, investigations, structures, and/or equipment.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of complete project documentation to include plans, specifications, and engineer estimates including the collection, assembling, and organizing of project data.
- Assists in evaluating, selecting, and adapting standard techniques, procedures, and criteria to project assignments; formulates and solves problems with guidance and direction.
- Plans and coordinates detailed aspects of engineering work; works on multiple projects of small to moderate size or portions of major projects using time efficiently to stay within budget and deliver on time.
- Assists in the preparation of project scopes, tasks, budgets, schedules, project specifications, and engineering reports.
- Assists with proposals including bid documents, project reports, studies, and other documentation.
- Receives direction on key objectives; receives guidance on unconventional or complex programs, direction on modified techniques, and new approaches on assignments with conflicting criteria.
- Assembles permit submittals for City, County and State agencies.
- Performs basic and moderately complex engineering design calculations.
- Aids in construction administration services and learn to respond to construction needs on various projects.
- Assists with preparations for, and attends, pre-construction and construction coordination meetings, internal project meetings, planning meetings, and client meetings.
- Assists in site observation work and compile site visit reports.
- Drafts departmental reports and correspondence.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 0-2 years’ experience.
- Working knowledge AutoCAD, desired.
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, MS Excel, and MS Word.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, AND SKILLS
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and clients.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines, and follow-up on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentially and protect privileged client information and documents appropriately.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively in a high-volume office environment under pressure of heavy deadlines.
- Knowledge of correct English usage including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Valid drivers’ license and maintenance of satisfactory driving record.
- Engineer in Training (EIT), preferred.
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
Due to the collaborative nature of this position and accessibility for in-house client meetings, it is important that this position physically work in the office.
Work usually takes place in a clean, pleasant, and comfortable office setting. Site visits may occasionally take place in an outdoor environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
TOOL/PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AVCON, INC. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, AVCON complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment at every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
AVCON expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of AVCON’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
# of Openings: 1
Job Locations: US-FL-Orlando