Leidos Electrical Engineer in Detroit, Michigan
Leidos is seeking an Electrical Engineer to join our team! The Electrical Engineer will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting connected vehicle research at the FHWA Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA. The successful candidate will be part of a larger research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA via developing, testing, and demonstrating new capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication.
Work assignments for the Electrical Engineer may include performing engineering duties at a higher systems level of the hardware and software, primarily commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS), required for control of traffic signals, traffic management systems, and vehicle guidance systems. The work requires a working knowledge of vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications and networking, including related hardware and software configurations as well as applicable IEEE and SAE standards. The work includes research, design, development, and testing of technology and computer-related equipment for scientific use. The work environment is very collegial and benefits from a collaborative effort with multiple team members. In addition to the laboratory and office environment, some field work, testing and validation of systems is often required. Other duties include:
• Perform engineering duties at a higher systems level of the hardware and software, primarily commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS), required for control of traffic signals, traffic management systems, and vehicle guidance systems.
• Conduct or supervise the manufacturing, installation, and troubleshooting of electrical equipment and components.
• Bachelors in Electrical Engineering or other science discipline with 3+ years related experience, specifically connected vehicle research and development.
• Familiarity with vehicle power and communication systems
• Ability to test and troubleshoot complex power and communication systems
• Must be a good team player and be able to give and take constructive feedback.
• Must be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand.
• Must be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement.
• Must communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing (authorship and publication of technical papers and presentations is a plus)
• Project Management skills to ensure the products and services are delivered on-time and within budget
• Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred
• Knowledge and experience in traffic signal controller operations, configuration, communications, and Transportation Management Center operations preferred
• Knowledge and experience with software development tools and methods, including one or more commonly used programming languages, such as C++, JAVA, or MATLAB preferred
• Geospatial positioning (e.g., GPS) and position correction (e.g., RTCM) preferred
• Aerial photo accuracy, correction, mapping, and conversion to electronic data preferred
• Ethernet Network engineering preferred
• Wireless communications, particularly DSRC, cellular, or Wi-Fi preferred
• Connected vehicle or transportation communication standards (e.g., SAE J2735, NTCIP 1202, etc.) preferred
• Knowledge of SharePoint and PowerBI development preferred
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.