Sandia National Laboratories R&D Electrical Engineer - Product Realization (Entry/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D S&E, Electrical Engineering
Technical interface to product realization teams and the commercial supply base for the design and delivery of electrical parts/components used in nuclear weapon design, development and production activities.
• Participates in the product realization process (design through delivery); including early engagement in the development phase to define, validate, and clarify requirements for mechanical parts/components destined for use in nuclear weapons.
• Leads the identification, development and qualification of suppliers; assessing the technical capabilities of the suppliers to meet weapons requirements.
• Leads efforts to enhance fundamental understanding of material requirements, defining and conducting experiment work to close knowledge gaps and improve design definition.
• Anticipates and manages risk (i.e. sole source suppliers, sunset materials, technology development, etc.); identifying viable alternates and leading the technical evaluations and decision making process.
• Manages product design definition (drawings, specifications, etc.) through the product life cycle (design-development-delivery).
• Employs quality management systems and techniques; developing and managing comprehensive verification/qualification plans and defining acceptance criteria.
• Manages multiple organizational interfaces; internally and externally.
Some travel required
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or relevant science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) discipline
- Able to obtain & maintain DOE security clearance (Q-level)
- Candidate must possess well-developed interpersonal and communication skills; with an ability to work in a diverse team environment
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced/schedule driven environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Excellent oral communication and technical writing skills, with the ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form
- Experience in application of the scientific method; gathering, analyzing and presenting technical data for decision making/problem solving purposes
- Experience with analog/digital circuits, printed wiring assemblies or cable assemblies.
- Experience with high voltage systems.
- Experience with circuit-analysis software and simulation tools
- Experience defining electrical testing/inspection methods and interpreting results.
- Desire to leverage engineering expertise in the weapons product realization process; cradle to grave
- Basic knowledge of design for manufacturing (DMF), Lean/Six Sigma and continuous improvement and their application
- Active DOE Q-Level security clearance
Purchased Product Value Stream (Org. 2569) is responsible for product engineering and materials planning for nuclear weapons design, development and production activities. We provide technical leadership in the various engineering disciplines (mechanical, chemical, materials science & electrical) to identify, develop, deliver, assure, and sustain a commercial supply base for weapon components, materials, sub-assemblies and custom tooling. Applying technical expertise to innovate and deliver solutions for nuclear weapon in the design and development phases and products in full scale production. We anticipate and manage risk within the nuclear weapons supply chain; researching alternate materials, defining and developing test/evaluation methodologies, developing design of experiments, identifying and developing supplier capabilities and leading qualification activities. We provide materials planning expertise; utilizing industry standard materials planning processes and tools to initiate the procurement phase and monitoring the supply chain to meet product realization schedules..
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT